Bullying and Abuse Statistics in Michigan USA
Updated Stats on Abuse, Bullying & Violence
ABUSE & BULLYING KILLS
-A report of child abuse is made every 10 seconds in the U.S.A.
-80% of abused children have a psychological disorder by the age of 21
-About 30% of those abused children will abuse their own children
-7 CHILDREN DIE EVERY DAY IN THE U.S.A. AS A RESULT OF CHILD ABUSE More/
-160,000 kids miss school every day for fear of being bullied
-85% of the time there is no intervention in school bullying
-Those with disabilities or who are different suffer bullying 65% more than others
-1 TEEN DIES EVERY 30 MINUTES in the U.S.A. from bullycide More/
WE NEED CHANGE!
Our Program has shown an 81% Change Rate in those we serve!
*Our program empowers and challenges children & teens, (pre-k thru college), staff, parents, workers, employers, and those of the community to a CHANGE CHALLENGE. Through our motivational interactive workshops individuals (victims, bystanders, bullies) realize that things cannot stay the same, or they'll have the same tragic results. By making a positive change in their own lives, they realize they can impact their communities, state and even the entire world, by being the change that others can see.
STATISTICS FROM RECENT SURVEYS
*We interviewed 600 students from two schools in 6th-12 grades:
- 33% admitted to bullying others.
- 43% said they were bullied.
- Most reported bullying occurred in the: Classroom, Gym, Lunchroom
- Most reported they were abused: Verbally, Physically, or Cyber Bullied.
- When bullied: 45% fought back, 31% kept quiet, 15% reported it, and 6% ran away
- 51% reported the bully suffered no consequences.
*Before our program 14% of students admitted being bullies, but after our change challenge students knew they could change and only 4% reported still having bully behaviors.
96% of all BULLIES CHANGED!
*Before our program 28% of students admitted being victims before our program, but after our change challenge students knew they could be survivors, and only 7% reported still being victims.
93% of all VICTIMS CHANGED!
*Before our program 66% of students admitted they were bystanders, but after our change challenge students realized that bystanders are really bullies too, and they could do something about it, so only 31% reported still being bystanders.
69% of all BYSTANDERS CHANGED!
Work With Us to Bring Change to Your School, Work Place, or Community Today!
General Bullying Statistics
6th-12th graders are the most likely ones to be involved in bullying. 12-17 yr. olds believe that violence has increased in their schools. 77% of kids in school are verbally bullied. Out of that 77%, 14% have a bad reaction (become depressed, anxious about going to school, contemplate/attempt suicide).
- 1 in 4 students in grades K-12 is either a bully or victim.
- 282,000 students are reportedly attacked in high schools throughout the nation each month.
- 56% of students have witnessed a bullying crime at school.
- 50% of students say they fear bullying in the bathroom at school. More
- 71% of students report bullying is an ongoing problem.
- 1 in 10 students drops out/changes schools due to repeated bullying.
- 1 out of 20 students has witnessed a gun at school.
- 90% of students in 4th-8th grades report being bullied the most.
- 54% of students reported that witnessing physical abuse at home leads to violence in school. More
Cyber Bullying Statistics:
Despite the potential damage of cyber bullying, it is alarmingly common among kids and teens. According to cyber bullying statistics from the i-SAFE foundation:
- 80% of kids/teens own cellphones, making this the biggest form of cyberbullying.
- Over half of kids/teens have been bullied online.
- More than half of kids/teens have bullied others online.
- More than 1-3 young people have experienced cyber threats online.
- Over 25% teens/adolescents have been bullied repeated via cellphone or online.
- Only 1 in 10 teens/kids tell their parents when cyber bullying occurs.
- Fewer than 1-5 cyber bullying incidents are reported to police.
- 1 in 10 kids/teens have had embarrassing/damaging pictures exploited over internet/cell phone.
- 1-5 teens have posted or sent sexually explicity.
- Girls are often cyberbullied more than boys.
- Most cyberbullying is in the form of hurtful comments.
- Boys are more often cyberbullies than girls.
- Boys are more often threatened online than girls.
- Cyberbullying victims are more likely to commit suicide. More
Click on the Link for More Info on Online Predators & Safety.
Gay/Lesbian/Transgender Bullying Statistics:
*The number one reason they are bullied is appearance. The number two reason is their sexual identity/gender.
- 86% of students are bullied because of their sexual orientation. More
- 9 in 10 LBGT teens have reported being bullied in school last year.
- Students hear anti-gay epithets 25 times a day in class, teachers do nothing 97% of the time. More
- They are 5 times more likely to miss school because they feel unsafe.
- 28% feel forced to drop out of school all together.
- LBGT are 2-3 times more likely than others to commit suicide. More/
- Suicide continues to be one of the leading causes of death among kids under 14.
- Retribution or revenge is the highest motivator for school shootings. More
- LBGT are 2-3 times more likely to commit suicide.
- Suicide rates are continuing to grow among kids/teens by 50% in the past 30 years.
- 270+ Children between the ages of 10-14 have committed suicide from bullying. More
Other Abuse Stats & Links
- 30 million people, age 12 and over drive under the influence every year More
- 15% of all alcohol sales in the United States come from under aged teens. This brings in about 20 billion dollars in annual sales.
- Areas that have more liquor stores and bars per capita have more violent assaults
- 17 million adults in America can be classified as an alcoholic or having a problem with alcohol abuse, but fewer than 8% of those 17 million will go for treatment.
In 2010, alcohol caused 85,000 deaths with around 22,000 of those coming from alcohol related diseases. More
- Women in abusive relationships don't leave their abuser for fear of what will happen to their pet.
- 13% of animal abuse involves domestic violence.
- 70% of animal abusers also have records of other crimes.
- Each year 10,000 bull dogs die in bullfighting
- 3 to 4 million cats and dogs (young, healthy, and adoptable) are euthanized every year in shelters More
- Nearly 1.5 million high school students experience physical abuse from a dating partner every year.
- 1 in 10 high school students has been purposefully hit, slapped, or hurt by a boyfriend or girlfriend.
- Girls & Young Women between the ages of 16 & 24 experience the highest rate of intimate partner violence.
- 4.8 million women and 2.9 million men are victims of intimate partner violence.
- Nearly 1 in 5 girls reported when trying to break up, they were threatened.
- 30% of teens in a violent relationship are killed by their partner.
- Each year 1,500 people die from intimate partner violence. My Story / More Stats/
- Kids with disabilities are twice as likely to be physically & sexually abused
- 68%-83% of Women with disabilities are sexually assaulted (50% more than women without disabilities)
- People with developmental disabilities are more likely than others to be revictimized by the same person More
- Every 9 seconds in the U.S. a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- 10 million children witness domestic violence each year in the U.S.
- 63% of all boys ages 11-20, who commit murder, kill the man who abused their mother
- 85% of domestic violence victims are women.
- Witnessing violence by parents/caregivers is the strongest risk factor of children being violent.
- Every day, at least 3 Women in the U.S. are killed by their boyfriends or husbands. More
Blog for Women: Surviving Domestic Violence--I Did You Can Too!
Blog for Men: Battered Men Speak Out
- Marijuana is the preferred drug of choice in America.
- By 8th grade most students have already tasted alcohol and tried Marijuana.
- 21% of all high school seniors use marijuana daily.
- Most drug abuse is in the form of over the counter drugs and prescription drugs.
- Over 6 Million Children in USA live with a parent/caregiver who is an addict. More
- 25% of causes in death of Americans can be attributed to drug abuse. More
- Nearly 5 Million cases of elder abuse occur each year.
- 85% of all cases are unreported.
- 50% of those with dementia experience some form of abuse.
- 14,000 allegations of abuse, neglect or gross negligence are reported in nursing homes.
- In 1999 5,000 death certificates of nursing home patients listed: dehydration, malnutrition, starvation, or bedsores as cause of death. More/ How elderly abuse can be prevented.
Human Trafficking /Forced into Sex or Work
- Human Trafficking is a $32-Billion industry world wide. More
- 2 Million people are victims every year/ of those 18,000 are Americans.
- 800,000 people, mostly women (70%) and children (50%) and most forced into sex trade each year.
- The average American age of minors forced into work/sex slavery is 12-14 yrs. old More
- 2 Children are sold every minute in the world.
- California's harbors 3 of FBI's highest child sex trafficking cities in the nation (LA, SanFranciso, SanDiego)
- Most runaways become prostitutes within the first 48 hours of leaving home. More More Runaway Statistics
- These innocent victims are forced into doing the unthinkable, with no wage or food, and held against their will, even threatened or killed if they try to leave.
- 30% of 8th graders have used illicit drugs due to peer pressure.
- 70% of teens who smoke have friends who smoke or started smoking because of their fellow peers.
- 50% of teens feel pressured into having sex.
- 234,000 teens die every year as a result of peer pressure. My Story/More Stats/ Parent Help
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- 70% of adults in the U.S. have experienced some type of traumatic event at least once.
- Among victims of a severe traumatic event 60-80% will develop PTSD.
- In the past year alone, the number of diagnosed cases in the military jumped 50%
- 3-15% of girls and 1-6% of boys will develop PTSD.
- Suicide and PTSD go hand-in-hand, causing 30,000 people to die from this disease each year. More
- 3 Million Americans engage in some form of self injury each year.
- An estimated 2 million Americans cut or burn themselves per year.
- 90% of self injurers begin cutting as teenagers.
- 50% of those who abuse themselves have been abused in some form.
- Most self abusers are not trying to commit suicide, just as a coping mechanism.
- Self abuse in any form can lead to serious injury or accidental death in victims. More
- 1- 6 children experience sexual abuse. More
- 1 in 3 children who experience sexual abuse do not report it to an adult.
- 4 out of 5 children 11-17 who were abused by a peer did not tell anyone.
- 1 in 4 undergraduate women are victims of sexual abuse.
- 20 to 25% of women in college reported experiencing an attempted or a completed rape in college
- 25.5% of females were first raped before age 12 and 34.9% were first raped between the ages of 12-17.
- Only 5% report the rape or sexual abuse. More
- 10% of all emergency room visits are related to sexual abuse. More
- 35% of the U.S. workforce (an estimated 53.5 million Americans) report being bullied at work.
- 1 Million people in the USA miss work every day for fear of being bullied.
- 82% of bullied workers quite their jobs due to stress & fear.
- 15% of reported adult suicides are work bullying related. More/ Workplace Bullying Institute